Dear Students and Parents,
The 2021-22 school year is just a few weeks away and we are working hard to make sure it will be another great year at Straub Middle School. The start of a new school year offers an opportunity for a new beginning, full of excitement and optimism. We are busy planning and preparing for the upcoming 21-22 school year – which includes having our students back in the building five days a week. Other changes for all Salem-Keizer middle schools include transitioning to a…
- 6 class period school day instead of 5 class periods
- trimester (3) instead of semester (2) calendar/schedule
- later start and end time(s) to the school day
Listed below are some important dates to start the year:
- August 16– Office opens to the public (8:00 – 4:00pm)
- August 30 – 6th grade Wolf Camp – you are invited to attend our incoming 6th grade Wolf Camp. You will participate in fun activities, practice using a PE lock, meet new friends and have the opportunity to navigate the school through a scavenger hunt.
- Time: 9-1pm (Check in begins at 8:30 in the main office)
- What to bring: All students must wear a mask. Lunch will be provided
- *No transportation, so students must have a drop off and pick up plan*
- August 30 – 6th grade Wolf Camp for parents (6:30-8:00pm)
- September 1 – Evening Open House (6:30pm-8:00pm)
- September 7 – First day for 6th graders
- September 8 – First day for 7th and 8th graders
- September 17 – School Photo Day for All Students
Key information and resources:
- Straub School Website – https://straub.salkeiz.k12.or.us/
- Bus information – https://salkeiz.k12.or.us/parents/bus-basics/#bus-videos
- Parent resource page (District) – https://salkeiz.k12.or.us/parents/
- 21-22 School Year District Calendar- https://bit.ly/37AjdBF
- 21-22 School Year Bell Schedule Adjustments – https://bit.ly/3fWHTsv
School Start/End Times:
-Start Time: 9:20am*– End Time: 4pm
*all schools will start one hour late on Wednesdays, moving the 1st period class start time to 10:20am
- 21-22 School Supply List– https://bit.ly/37Egh77
*in order to increase student safety, Straub students will not use hall lockers for the 21-22 school year
- 21-22 Sports Registration – https://bit.ly/2VFy5Ml
- Cross Country (6th, 7th, and 8th graders)
- Football (7th and 8th graders)
- Volleyball (7th and 8th grade girls)
- New To The District Student Registration – If your student is brand new to the Salem-Keizer School District you will need to first create a ParentVUE Account , you will be using this account throughout all school years that you have a student/s enrolled with Salem-Keizer School District. Once your ParentVUE account is set up and you are logged in you will then select “Begin New Registration”. Before you begin you will need the following documents for your student/s: birth certificate, immunizations, and proof of address that you can take a picture, screenshot, or scan of and upload them into the registration portal. For proof of address a utility bill or deposit receipt such as gas, electric, water, phone, less than 30 days old showing correct residential address and parent/legal guardian’s name will suffice. Once the registration is submitted you will receive an email confirming that it was complete and accepted.
- Currently Enrolled Student Registration – If you have not already do so, we are asking that you please take a moment and review your student’s information online. You will do this by logging into your existing ParentVUE Account, This is the same account that was used prior years and you will continue to use this ParentVUE account throughout all school years that you have a student/s enrolled with Salem-Keizer School District. Once you are logged in you will select the “Online Registration” in the upper right-hand corner and then select “Begin New Registration” and complete the registration for your existing listed students. Once the registration is submitted you will receive an email confirming that it was complete and accepted.
- No ParentVUE Account? Please be sure to create your parentVUE account if you have not already done so. This is a great tool that our school uses for parents to view and make changes/updates to student contact information, communication to and from teachers, view student progress in classes, attendance, and other important student information. IF YOU ARE NOT SURE IF YOU HAVE A PARENTVUE ACCOUNT OR DO NOT HAVE AN ACTIVE PARENTVUE ACCOUNT, PLEASE CONTACT OUR MAIN OFFICE AT (503)399-2030AND WE CAN HELP YOU GET STARTED.
- Class Schedules – Class schedules will be available electronically through StudentVUE or ParentVUE. You will want to make sure that your student takes a screenshot or writes it down on paper so that they have their schedule available for the first day of school as we will not be printing schedules off for students. All schedule change requests will be submitted electronically through a link on our Straub website.
If you have questions about the registration process at Straub, please feel free to call us at 503-399-2030. Also, if your child will not be attending Straub the fall, please notify our office to ensure that your child is on the correct mailing list for their new school. We are looking forward to meeting you in the weeks ahead!
Denny McCarthy Colleen Johnson
Principal Assistant Principal